Back to About

The Barn

A piece of our past, a part of our future.

Affectionately known as simply “the Barn,” this symbol of Canton’s agricultural history is a monument to generations of Farmington Valley residents and a treasured piece of our property. It’s a salute to our community’s hardworking past and our vision for the future.

To understand the origin of the Barn, we have to start with a little history lesson. In the late 1700s, Deacon Obed Higley was a farmer and builder who cultivated the area’s rich soil, raised chickens and cows, and sold eggs and dairy. On his property, he built a barn (yes, our barn!) for his cows. The Dairy Barn emerged and success followed, lasting through four generations of Higleys.

As times changed and industry became more prevalent in the area, the Barn changed uses and hands. In 1928, James Lowell Sr. and his wife Ruth purchased the property from The Higley Family. In 1931, The Lowell Family opened The Canton Public Golf Course, which became a beloved part of the community for more than 80 years. The Barn stood strong through several moves around the course, and was used to store carts and equipment near the pro shop.

In 2002, the property once again came under new ownership, and The Shops came to life. New structures and buildings sprang up, but the most important one remains – a relic from an era not long forgotten by people from this region. Through the years and so many changes, the Barn is a constant. Call us sentimental, but we really love that big red building.

In October 2019, The Barn was the backdrop for the First Annual “Barnside Brews” event, the first of hopefully many future opportunities to gather for food, entertainment and good company alongside our favorite landmark.